FIA Internship Opportunity
Fogo Island Arts is seeking an Intern for a 3-month period. The internship is based on Fogo Island, starting March 2022.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, November 30, 2021.
The Fogo Island Arts Internship offers young artists, arts administrators, and curators the chance to gain valuable work experience in arts administration. The interns will act as support staff for four days per week in the administrative offices of Fogo Island Arts, a contemporary art venue and residency program for artists, filmmakers, writers, musicians, curators, designers and thinkers off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada. The interns receive a stipend of $15 per hour and will be provided with housing, local cell phone and transportation as well as studio space.
The intern will work closely with FIA’s Strategic Director and the Programme Coordinator on day-to-day program operations, administrative tasks and patron stewardship, as well as events and project-specific needs. They will contribute to broadening FIA’s communications and outreach strategies, including contact management, media coverage, and social media/online presence. The intern will assist with the coordination and promotion of FIA events on and off the island and oversee the editing and online distribution of selected FIA Artist Talk videos.
Acting as an ambassador for Fogo Island Arts and Shorefast, the intern will work with visitors and the general public, informing them about FIA’s residency program, exhibitions, talks and related activities. Responsibilities include showing visitors the artists’ studios and heritage properties in various Fogo Island communities; giving tours of exhibitions at the Fogo Island Gallery; providing information about contemporary art and architecture, cultural heritage and geo-tourism activities.
The intern will also act as a resource and point of contact for artists-in-residence and special guests, assisting with orientation, research and production if required.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Completed or in-process graduate degree in fine arts, art history, or related field.
- Good knowledge of contemporary artists and practices
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Positive, welcoming demeanor; capacity to act as an ambassador for Fogo Island Arts and the Shorefast Foundation
- Well-organized, capable of adapting to changing circumstances and needs of visiting artists
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, Photoshop, and Illustrator, as well as fluency in social media platforms
- Experience with WordPress an asset
- Basic video editing skills
- Capacity to work independently as well as within a team
- Previous administrative experience an asset
- Driver’s license required
The candidate will be responsible for obtaining health and travel insurance prior to arriving in Canada. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by FIA staff.
To apply please the following supporting material to [email protected]
- Written Statement – (including your name, mailing address, phone, email) This one-page response should convey your interest and related experience working in Arts Administration, as well as describe how this would make an impact on your career.
- Copy of valid driver’s license
Application Deadline: Tuesday, November 30,2021.